Sunday, October 13, 2019

Do You Love Your Bible?

 Do you love your Bible, Christian? Do you really?  

I am often challenged by those who gave their lives in defense of the Word of God and forced to ask myself, “do you love the Bible THAT much?!” 

You can look at William Hunter who lost his job in London for refusing an order that everyone in the City of London had to attend a Catholic mass. When caught reading the Bible for himself, he was brought up on charges for refusing to accept the catholic dogma of transubstantiation according to which the bread and wine became the physical body and blood of Jesus. 

He resisted threats and bribes, including the offer to be set completely free and paid £40, choosing rather to be burnt alive for his faith and stance on God’s word. 

Or take William Tyndale (we just commemorated his martyrdom on October 6) who desired to study God’s word and became fluent in French, Greek, Hebrew, German, Italian, Latin, and Spanish, in addition to English! He received his Master’s degree just so that he could BEGIN to study theology! While taking the course he was irritated that it did not include the systematic study of the Scriptures! He complained, “They have ordained that no man shall look on the Scripture, until he be noselled in heathen learning eight or nine years and armed with false principles, with which he is clean shut out of the understanding of the Scripture. 

Once he was summoned before John Bell, the Chancellor of the Diocese of Worcester, to be questioned. No charges were brought at that time and in recalling his argument with John Bell, Tyndale referred to him as a "learned but blasphemous clergyman", who allegedly asserted: "We had better be without God's laws than the Pope's.", to which Tyndale responded: "I defy the Pope, and all his laws; and if God spares my life, ere many years, I will cause the boy that driveth the plow to know more of the Scriptures than thou dost!" 

In order to translate the Bible into the English he defied order of the king and the Pope. He was hunted and persecuted for years until he was finally executed for his crimes.  

When finally sentenced to be executed for his “crimes against the crown,” they wanted to spare Tyndale the worst at his deathSo it was arranged that he should be strangled before being burned. As this was happening, he said: “Oh Lord, open the King of England’s eyes!” But the strangler bungled the job and the first flames brought Tyndale back to consciousness. It is reported that he endured the flames in silence. 

We can see with the later translation of our King James Bible that the Lord honored Tyndale’s final prayer. 

And we could go on and on with examples of people who lived, died, and gave everything for the word of God. 

Do you love God’s word that much ChristianDid you know that your love for the Holy Word of God will be on display for the world to see? Yes sir! So we’d better make sure that we actually love it and that we act like we love it! 

Do you read it? 

Job 23:10-12 - But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. 11 - My foot hath held his steps, his way have I kept, and not declined. 12 - Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food. 

Is the word of God more important to you Christian than filling your belly in the morning? 
Is it the first thing you crave or desire to dig into? 

Someone once asked a room full of business owners, “Who here would like to spend more time reading?” All the people in the room raised their hands. “Then why don’t you?” the speaker asked, to which one guy replied, “Because books don’t ring!” 

I know that’s talking about books in general, but the lesson still applies. There are so many other distractions that this world throws at us and the flesh wants nothing to do with the word, but do you love the word of God enough to faithfully dig into every day? 

Do you carry it? 

Matthew 5:13-16 - Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. 14 - Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. 15 - Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. 16 - Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. 

Do you memorize it? 

Psalms 119:9-16 - BETH. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word. 10 - With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. 11 - Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. 12 - Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes. 13 - With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth. 14 - I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches. 15 - I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways. 16 - I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word. 

 Do you meditate on it?  

Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 

Isaiah 26:3-4 - Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. - Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength: 

Psalms 1:1-3 - Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. - But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. - And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper. 

Do you share it? 

Matthew 22:9 – Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage. 

Mark 16:15 – And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 

Luke 14:23 – And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. 

Penn Jillette, world famous magician of the duo Penn and Teller, who is a professed atheist said, “I’ve always said that I don’t respect people who don’t proselytize. I don’t respect that at all. If you believe that there’s a heaven and a hell, and people could be going to hell or not getting eternal life, and you think that it’s not really worth telling them this because it would make it socially awkward—and atheists who think people shouldn’t proselytize and who say just leave me along and keep your religion to yourself—how much do you have to hate somebody to not proselytize? How much do you have to hate somebody to believe everlasting life is possible and not tell them that? 

I mean, if I believed, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that a truck was coming at you, and you didn’t believe that truck was bearing down on you, there is a certain point where I tackle you. And this is more important than that.” 

And do you know when he said that? Right after a Christian handed him a gift Bible that he got from Living Waters here in Bellflower! 

Do you love the word of God enough to get uncomfortable and share it, Christian? 
Do you live it? 

Romans 12:1-2 - I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. - And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. 

Colossians 3 - If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. - Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. - For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. - When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory. - Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: - For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: - In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them. - But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. - Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; 10 - And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: 11 - Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. 12 - Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; 13 - Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. 14 - And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. 15 - And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. 16 - Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17 - And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. 18 - Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord. 19 - Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them. 20 - Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord. 21 - Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged. 22 - Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God: 23 - And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; 24 - Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. 25 - But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons. 

Live it! Put on your new self! 

My Bible and I 
      By: M. H. Knobloch 

I have a companion of infinite worth; 
We travel together through this dreary earth. 
From pilgrimage here to a home, in the sky, 
We’re traveling together, my Bible and I. 

I have a companion, a wonderful guide! 
A solace and comfort whatever betide; 
A friend never failing when others pass by— 
Oh, blessed communion—my Bible and I! 

I have a companion, tis God’s Holy Word, 
Revealing from heaven, the mind of my Lord; 
My rock and my refuge when danger is nigh— 
We’ve blessings eternal, my Bible and I. 

I have a companion, a heavenly light, 
A pillar by day and a fire by night; 
A lamp from the cradle until I shall die— 
What blessed communion—my Bible and I! 

I have a companion, a dear faithful friend, 
A union of blessing that never shall end. 
Till Jesus returns with His saints from on high, 
We’ll travel together, my Bible and I! 

O light of my pathway! Thou lamp to my feet! O manna from heaven! So precious and sweet. 
For thee do I live, and for thee would I die, 
Forever and ever, my Bible and I. 





No comments:

Post a Comment